Let me begin by saying I am not a web developer, or at least I never thought of myself as one, nor did I ever really aspire to be one. However, I am also a penny pincher sometimes, and am unwilling to pay others for something I can do for myself.
So, today I had the dubious pleasure of messing with this site, trying to get my blog posts to nicely sort themselves into nice clean pages based on their category. All the help files spell it out as a simple two step process. But it wasn’t working. No matter what I did I got the dreaded 404 error – this page can not be found. Ugh!!!
I tried over and over. I added new pages, configured them every which way imaginable, put them in the trash, and then, lest they negatively impact something with their ghost, returned to permanently deleted them.
All to no avail.
I searched the web, my search phrase, “category and page” come up all sorts of ways, always the same simple two step process that wasn’t working for me. Then I stumbled across something too ‘techy’ for me to understand clearly – BUT – it had a new phrase describing my malady, perhaps it would be a valid search phrase to generate the information I lacked.
Well, things got even more ‘techy’ with reference to themes, php pages, and editing templates. All my common sense rebelled at this information – after all, it is a two step process. How difficult can it be?
And then I saw it, the comment that some website templates have a bug when it comes to displaying blogs by category.
At this point I was about 5 hours into a project I previously thought would take, oh, maybe 30 minutes. My frustration was through the roof. I had even sent a note to my “Happiness Engineer” – after 2 hours he hadn’t responded yet either.
And then, a reference to permalink… hum… I know the issue is related to the link. I may as well check it out. Well, what I discovered was enough to fix the problem. Yes, I had the bug in my theme, Wedge, in case you also have it. Buried deep in the permalink screen was a field for category links, and it had a period in the field. Should not have been there.
Removed that errant dot and then everything began working as it ought to. 🙂
About 3 hours later my “Happiness Engineer” got back to me, I told him what the problem was, and suggested they have whomever maintains the theme update it so others don’t suffer the same wasted Saturday afternoon I did.
So, did this experience make me think maybe next time I should pay someone. No, maybe it should have, but it more convinced me if I mess with something, even something I don’t really know or understand, eventually I can figure it out.
And, all that reminds me of this really good Bible study in the YouVersion called The Last Arrow. It is about not giving up, not quitting. Success may be almost in our grasp, just a micro-inch away, but if we quit before our time, we can’t succeed. We are called to succeed, to move forward, conquer obstacles, and give those things we have committed to our all.